Smoking and Curing course – £125 per person
Next course: Sunday 27th May 2018
This course is designed for those just starting out with curing and smoking meat, fish or those with no experience but an interest in how to begin. Numbers for the course are kept to a maximum of 6* so that everyone can have as much or as little of a hands-on experience as they desire. Questions are actively encouraged and more than anything we hope you have a fun, informative day. The produce for the day comes from Chart Farm, a local farm shop who specialise in traditional farming and butchery methods and sourcing exceptional produce from those who share their values. We are thrilled to be working in conjunction with them and look forward to showcasing their superb meat.
The courses take place at my home in Westerham, to the East of Sevenoaks, Kent and around 25 miles from London. They run from 9:00am until 1:00pm with morning refreshments to begin with.
We will go through;
- the basics of the different cures and just a little bit of the science behind curing
- the different cuts of meat and what they can be used for
- hot and cold smoking and what you need to do this cheaply and successfully at home
- air drying meat including tips for success
During the course you will make the following, all of which you take home with full instructions on how to continue the curing/drying process;
- various dry cures to take home with full instructions on how to use them
- Pancetta, using local pork belly
- Lomo, using local pork tenderloin
- various hot smoked items depending on the season
Items made during the course are subject to change dependent on the season and availability.